Church of the Holy Trinity

 

Home > What to see > Old Suburb > Church of the Holy Trinity


The imposing Church of the Holy Trinity was built by Franciscan monks in 1420-1514. In 1480, the Chapel of St Anne was constructed alongside the church. This towering Gothic building, adjoining a former Franciscan monastery (now the National Museum), is among the best preserved buildings in the city.


It was built in the 15th century and badly damaged during World War II. The altar is offset by a lofty whitewashed interior and the wide expanse of floor is cobbled with tombstones, including an epitaph of the Marquis of Oria who died in Gdansk. The marquis donated over 1,000 valuable books to the city library. The church contains the oldest surviving pulpit in Gdansk – it dates from 1541 and is another remarkable example of local wood carving. Beside the church is a half-timbered galleried house dating from the 17th century.



« back

 
 
 

This site uses cookies. Some of the cookies we use are essential for parts of the site to operate and have already been set. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work. OK