Museum & Galleries

 

The Gdansk New Port Lighthouse


more
One of the most beautiful lighthouses of the Baltic Sea, this 90-feet-tall structure built in 1893 is the twin of the Cleveland, Ohio, Main Lighthouse (today no longer standing). Situated at the entrance of the harbour of Gdansk, the Nowy Port Lighthouse combined three distinct functions: that of a coastal...

Gift of Pomerania


more
"Dar Pomorza" (Gift of Pomerania), called the White Frigate, has been associated with Gdynia since 1929. She was built in 1909 in the Blohm & Voss shipyard in Hamburg as a training ship for the German merchant maritime school. The frigate was given to the State Maritime School in Gdynia and became the second (after...

The Zuraw


more
The oldest sources mentioning the Zuraw as wooden port crane equipment date from 1367. Its present look refers to the image of the middle of the 15th century. The first wooden crane totally burnt down as a result of the 1442 fire. A new crane was built in the years 1442-1444. The crane had a defence function. It...

S.S. “Soldek”


more
"Soldek" is the first ocean-going vessel put into operation in the history of the Polish shipyard industry. She was designed by a team of Polish engineers under the leadership of Henryk Gieldzik and built in Gdansk Shipyard, established on 19 October 1947.

The Granaries


more
The majority of granaries in Gdansk were destroyed as a result of war actions in 1945. The walls of three of them were preserved on Olowianka and after reconstruction in 1985 they became the main exhibition area for the Polish Maritime Museum.

Ethnographical Museum at the Abbatial Granary


more
The present-day Ethnographical Museum was originally an Ethnographical Department within the structure of the Pomeranian Museum. Moved in 1979 to the Abbots' Palace in Gdansk-Oliwa, it became an independent division of the National Museum in Gdansk, to be moved again to its current premises in the...

The Gdansk Gallery of Photography


more
Originally established by the Gdansk Artists' Association as the G.N. Gallery in 1977, the Gallery was later renamed the Gdansk Gallery of Photography, and has been a Division of the National Museum in Gdansk since 1995.

Green Gate


more
The Renaissance Green Gate stands on the site of the most ancient gate in Gdansk, the Koga Gate. This gate was built to serve as the formal residence of Polish monarchs, but was only used for that purpose once in its history. There are four arched passages through this gate and there is a symbol over each: The...

Abbot's Palace in Oliwa – Modern Art Department


more
The Abbot's Palace in Oliwa is a roccoco palace in Oliwa, a quarter of Gdansk. The first portion of the palace, the "Old Palace" was constructed in the 15th century. Later, in the first half of the sixteen hundreds a "New Palace" was added, which served as the residency of the then abbot of the Cistercians, Jan...

Historical Art Department


more
The Gdansk National Museum’s Historical Art Department is housed in a post-monastery building which was originally used by the Franciscan Order. In 1556, the last Prussian curator Johann Rolaw handed the church and monastery over to the city authorities on condition that the building would be used “exclusively...

Tower Clock Museum


more
This Branch of Gdansk History Museum is located in the tower of Saint Catherine’s Church in Gdansk. This is the oldest parish church in Gdansk, whose origins date back to the 12th century. The Museum collects and preserves tower clock mechanisms that are significant for this field of science. At the end of the...

Westerplatte Museum


more
According to the decision of the Council of the League of Nations dated 1924, from 1926 the Westerplatte peninsula was transferred to Poland for the purposes of an ammunition and weapons reloading depot. The 88 strong force of Polish soldiers was responsible for ensuring the security of the warehouses and the...

Wisloujscie Fortress Museum


more
A unique monument of the fortification works, Wisloujscie Fortress, is located in direct proximity to the Westerplatte peninsula. This was an important area from a strategic point of view, as the movement of ships entering and leaving Gdansk harbour could be controlled from this place. The former Gdansk harbour was...

Polish Post Museum in Gdansk


more
The Post Office and Telecommunication Museum was opened in Wroclaw in 1956. At the time it was the only such facility in Poland, which collected exhibits related to the history of the post office and memorabilia related to the defence of the Polish Post Office in the Free City of Gdansk.

Amber Museum


more
Amber is particularly associated with the Baltic region, specifically because of the abundance of deposits of this material in the area. Because of historical relations (The Western Prussia Natural Museum in the Green Gate existing before WWII) and primarily because of today’s activities, Gdansk claims the title...

Uphagen house


more
Uphagen house is the only one in Poland and one of only a few 18th century merchant town houses in Europe open to visitors. Johann Uphagen purchased this town house in 1775.

Artus Court


more
Artus Court is a complex of buildings forming a branch of the Gdansk Historical Museum, located within the Main City boundaries and forming a part of the representative city route called the Royal Route. Dlugi Targ located near the historical harbour on the Motlawa river forms part of the route.

The Main Town Hall


more
The main headquarters of the Gdansk History Museum is a Gothic-Renaissance building, located at the corner of Dluga Street and Dlugi Targ, dominating the panorama of the Royal Route – the most representative route of the listed part of the city.
 
 
 

This site uses cookies. Some of the cookies we use are essential for parts of the site to operate and have already been set. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work. OK