Gdansk New Port Lighthouse

 

Home > What to see > Outside the Centre > Gdansk New Port Lighthouse


A lighthouse in New Port is one of the most beautiful lighthouses of Baltic Sea. It was commissioned in 1894, and it showed the entrance to Gdansk port till 1984. In its interiors, beautifully kept historical optic devices and exhibition “Gdansk lighthouses within years”.


Also the view from its tower to Gdansk Port, Westerplatte and the whole Gdansk Bay, Gdynia and Hel, is very attractive. 27 meters lighthouse in New Port was built as a famous lighthouse erected in 1871 in Cleveland (USA). It was used for three purposes: as a lighthouse, tower of port pilots and basis of time sphere, removed in 1929. The last was an unusual instrument. Its rise and fall at noon, enabled precise setting of marine chronometers, necessary for a precise navigation, for the captains of ships being on roads. The lighthouse is open for the visitors from May to September.



« back

 
 
 

This site uses cookies. Some of the cookies we use are essential for parts of the site to operate and have already been set. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work. OK