Prison Tower and Torture Chamber

 

Home > What to see > The Main Town > Prison Tower and Torture Chamber


Prison Tower and Torture Chamber is a habitat the Museum of Amber. Contain objects connected with its former glory, its many functions as well as from the history of Gdansk law and administration. Prison Tower is the mix of architectural styles and it is the result of several rebuildings.


The tower was originally built as part of the now-destroyed Ulica Dluga Gate that was erected in the second half of the 14th century as part of the medieval fortifications of the Main Town. In the 15th and 16th centuries, the tower was heightened several times and the surrounding buildings altered accordingly. When the new fortifications were built in 1571-1576 the entire complex lost its purpose. It began to be used as a prison, court and torture chamber. The tower was the scene of many blood-curdling interrogations. There is a whipping post on the western wall, which was also the site of many executions. At the turn of the 20th century, in accordance with the new functions of the buildings, a stonecutter's workshop was installed in the courtyard. The Torture Chamber, the old headquarters of the hangman, looks like a small renaissance palace with an ornate roof and tower.



« back

 
 
 

This site uses cookies. Some of the cookies we use are essential for parts of the site to operate and have already been set. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work. OK