St Mary 's Church

 

Home > What to see > The Main Town > St Mary 's Church


The Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the largest brick church in the world, went through several stages of development over the period from 1343 to 1502. Its interior displays many exquisite pieces of Medieval and Baroque art, including the stone Pieta from about 1410, a copy of the Last Judgement by Hans Memling, the original canvas dating back to 1472, the astronomical clock built by Hans Duringer between 1464 and 1470 and the main altar put up between 1510 and 1517.


From 1529 to 1945 St Mary's was a Protestant church. Like so many other parts of Gdansk, it was rebuilt after World War II. The interior contains furnishings in the Gothic, Mannerist and Baroque styles. The church is 105 m long, including the tower battlements, and the vaults soar 29 meters above floor level. The solid main tower is 77.6 meters high and it is crowned with a viewing gallery which enables visitors to enjoy a panoramic view of the city. In order to get there it is necessary to climb almost 400 steps.



« back

 
 
 

This site uses cookies. Some of the cookies we use are essential for parts of the site to operate and have already been set. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work. OK