The National Maritime Museum

 

Home > What to see > Outside The Main Town > The National Maritime Museum


The Polish Maritime Museum dates back to 1958 when a Museum’s Friends Association was established. The Museum was built from scratch. In its founders’ concept it was planned to be a port and museum facility integrated into the very heart of the old Gdansk port with other typical port facilities, such as the Zuraw, the Granary on Olowianka island, quays and ships.


However, 45 years ago Olowianka island was in ruins and only the Zuraw was rebuilt after the war demolitions, which is why the main Museum’s site was located there. Simultaneously, the Museum was pursuing its development concept by expanding and acquiring new facilities. In June 1963 its first external department was established – the Lighthouse Museum in the Rozewie Lighthouse and further external departments followed: in 1972 the Fishery Museum on Hel Peninsula; in 1977 the building adjacent to the Zuraw, transformed from a boiler-house into a museum department named Colonial Collection; in 1984 Vistula River Museum in Tczew and the grand "Dar Pomorza" in Gdynia, one of the most beautiful sailing boats in the world. In 1989 further exposition rooms were made available to the public. Since the summer of 1989 a ship-museum has been docked on the island’s quay, s.s. Soldek, the first ocean-going ship built in the Gdansk shipyard after the Second World War. Visiting the museum facility located on two opposite sides of the Motlawa river is facilitated by the ferryboat "Motlawa" departing from below the Zuraw.



« back

 
 
 

This site uses cookies. Some of the cookies we use are essential for parts of the site to operate and have already been set. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work. OK