The Main Town

 

The Chlebnicka Gate


more
The Chlebnicka Gate built in 1450 marks the end of Chlebnicka street and opens up onto the Motlawa River. Built in the Gothic style, the gate is made of brick and has a pointed arch, but the true sign of its age is the symbol carved on the Motlawa side.

St Nicholas Church


more
St Nicholas Church is the oldest church in Gdansk, erected in the late 12th century. In 1227 Swietopelk, Prince of Pomerania, bestowed the church on the Dominican friars, who were invited here through the persistent efforts of St. Jacek Odrowaz.

Royal Chapel


more
The Royal Chapel was founded on the initiative of King Jan III Sobieski to serve as a temporary place of worship for the Catholics of St Mary's parish church, which at that time was held by Protestants.

The Mariacka Gate


more
The charming and truly unique Mariacka Street is closed off on one end by the towering Mariacka Church and by the Mariacka Gate on the other. The gate allows pedestrians passage from the Motlawa to the cobbled roads of the Old Town and the famed porches of ul. Mariacka.

St Mary 's Church


more
The Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the largest brick church in the world, went through several stages of development over the period from 1343 to 1502. Its interior displays many exquisite pieces of Medieval and Baroque art, including the stone Pieta from about 1410, a copy of the Last Judgement by Hans...

St Mary's Street


more
St Mary's Street (Ulica Mariacka) is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful streets of Gdansk. It leads from the St Mary's church to the Long Embankment with the Medieval St Mary's Gate. The street is an exquisite example of historic Gdansk urban planning with terraced entrances and narrow, richly decorated facades...

Monument to Those Who Fell for the Polish Character of Gdansk


more
A monument commemorating those who fell in a fight for the Polish character of the city in the period from the Gdansk massacre (1308) until the end of II World War.

Green Gate


more
The Renaissance Green Gate stands on the site of the most ancient gate in Gdansk, the Koga Gate. This gate was built to serve as the formal residence of Polish monarchs, but was only used for that purpose once in its history. There are four arched passages through this gate and there is a symbol over each: The...

The Golden House


more
The Golden House, also known as Speimann House or Steffens House is one of the most beautiful buildings in Gdansk. It was erected in 1609 by the Jan Speyman, the Mayor of the city and at the same time a wealthy merchant and an open-minded patron of the arts, and his wife, Judyta (from the Bahra family).

Uphagen house


more
Uphagen house is the only one in Poland and one of only a few 18th century merchant town houses in Europe open to visitors. Johann Uphagen purchased this town house in 1775. Over a few years (by 1787) the town house was completely modernized and adapted to the needs of the new wealthy owner. Uphagen lived in the...

St George's Court


more
The old and exclusive Brotherhood of St. George, which used ‘their’ Artus Court together with other merchant confraternities - like the one in Gdansk - in the late 15th century settled down in their new summer residence, otherwise known as ‘small’ Artus Court.

Prison Tower and Torture Chamber


more
Prison Tower and Torture Chamber is a habitat the Museum of Amber. Contain objects connected with its former glory, its many functions as well as from the history of Gdansk law and administration. Prison Tower is the mix of architectural styles and it is the result of several rebuildings.

The Highland Gate


more
The Highland Gate was built in 1588. Constituted the main entrance to the Main City of Gdansk on the west side. This gate is the beginning of the so-called Royal Route, the largest urban historic axis of Gdansk. The gate of the two sides was surrounded by earthworks, which was demolished in the nineteenth century.

The Golden Gate


more
The Golden Gate was built in the years 1612-1614 according to a design drafted by Abraham van den Blocke, in the Renaissance style. Stone sculptures adorning the attic date back to 1648 and they were carved by Piotr Ringering. They present an allegory of citizen’s virtues: Prudence, Justice, Piety and Harmony.

The Dluga Street and the Dlugi Targ Street


more
The Dluga and Dlugi Targ Streets which are also known as Trakt Krolewski (the Royal Route) rank among the most beautiful streets in Gdansk. The wealthiest Gdansk patricians used to live there and almost every tenement house has its own interesting history to tell. The oldest preserved houses date back to the Middle...

The Neptune Fountain


more
The Neptune Fountain has stood in front of the Artus Court since 1633 and is a symbol of Gdansk. It was built on the initiative of the Mayor of Gdansk, Bartlomiej Schachmann. The model was prepared by Peter Husen and Johann Rogge, and it was cast in 1615 in Augsburg. The design of the whole fountain was prepared by...

The Artus Court


more
The Artus Court was in many respects the epicenter of Gdansk's mercantile galaxy. Named after the mythical British King Arthur, it provided an arena for the movers and shakers of Gdansk to strut their stuff in knightly style. The enterprise was inspired by the courts of King Arthur, and the merchants endeavoured to...

The Main Town Hall


more
The main town hall is a Gothic-Renaissance building, located at the corner of Dluga Street and Dlugi Targ, dominating the panorama of the Royal Route – the most representative route of the listed part of the city.
 
 
 

This site uses cookies. Some of the cookies we use are essential for parts of the site to operate and have already been set. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work. OK