Zoo in Gdansk – Oliwa
The idea to establish a zoological garden in Oliwa first appeared in late 1940s, and it was warmly supported by the citizens of Gdansk. The enthusiasm of people was so great that although the city's authorities were at first reluctant to support the project, the official permission to establish a zoological park was given in 1953.
The park and forest complex of 100 ha located near the centre of Oliwa in the Valley of the Forest Mill was chosen for this purpose. Since 1991 the collection of animals in Oliwa Zoo is regularly extended, gaining many rare species listed as threatened: pygmy hippopotamuses, orangutans, maned wolfs, Arabian oryxes, Somalian asses, anoas, Javan lutungs, colobus monkeys, jackass penguins and mandrills. In return for quarantining 50 Bactrian camels from Kazakhstan, the Zoo received a herd of dromedaries and Bactrian camels, llamas, flamingos and pelicans. The arrangement of places for relaxation, new restaurants and snack bars, playgrounds for children, as well as new attractive visual setting of Gdansk Zoo attract more and more visitors, even off season. They all find walking in the Zoo of Gdansk Oliwa both a relaxing and an educating way of spending one's leisure time.