Granary Island

 

Home > What to see > Outside The Main Town > Granary Island


The majority of granaries in Gdansk were destroyed as a result of war actions in 1945. The walls of three of them were preserved on Olowianka and after reconstruction in 1985 they became the main exhibition area for the Polish Maritime Museum.


Once joined to the mainland, Granary (Spichlerze) Island was created when the New Motlawa Canal was dug in 1576. A centre of trade developed here at the end of the 13th century.  The oldest granary is the Gothic granary ''Oliwski'', after 1677 called ''Klasztorny" (Closter). Its name derives from the Cistercian Order from Oliwa. The Baroque granary ''Panna'' (Maiden) was named after a sculpture standing once on its top (first mentioned in 1709), and it was built in place of an older medieval granary, ''Szkarpawski''. ''Miedz'' (Copper) granary’s name obviously comes from the type of good once stored there. There used to be a wooden or stone-carved plaque on the front of each granary specifying its name. Two plaques on the ''Oliwski'' granary have been preserved with the dates 1677 and 1738. There are three exhibitions: “Poles on the seas and oceans worldwide”, “Underwater Archeology and Diving” and “Maritime Gallery”.



« back

 
 
 

This site uses cookies. Some of the cookies we use are essential for parts of the site to operate and have already been set. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work. OK