The Chlebnicka Gate

 

Home > What to see > The Main Town > The Chlebnicka Gate


The Chlebnicka Gate built in 1450 marks the end of Chlebnicka street and opens up onto the Motlawa River. Built in the Gothic style, the gate is made of brick and has a pointed arch, but the true sign of its age is the symbol carved on the Motlawa side.


The symbol, a shield with two crosses but no crown, was the oldest crest of Gdansk and can’t be seen anywhere else in the city! On the opposite side, a stylized lily greets travellers and gives the gate its second name: the Lily Gate. In the nearby rivers and canals there are some rare varieties of lily, so after seeing the stone version, hop in a canoe and paddle on out to see some of the real things.



« back

 
 
 

This site uses cookies. Some of the cookies we use are essential for parts of the site to operate and have already been set. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work. OK