The Golden House

 

Home > What to see > The Main Town > The Golden House


The Golden House, also known as Speimann House or Steffens House is one of the most beautiful buildings in Gdansk. It was erected in 1609 by the Jan Speyman, the Mayor of the city and at the same time a wealthy merchant and an open-minded patron of the arts, and his wife, Judyta (from the Bahra family).


The construction was based on a design prepared by Abraham van den Blocke, who was also responsible for a part of the sculptural decorations which were completed in 1618. The house is famous for its richly-decorated facade. Local people claim that it is haunted. The legend goes that from time to time the corridors of the house are frequented by a luminous creature. It is a ghost of the beautiful Judyta Speymann whispering “A just deed fears no man”. Today the building houses the Maritime Institute.



« back

 
 
 

This site uses cookies. Some of the cookies we use are essential for parts of the site to operate and have already been set. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work. OK